Monday, April 22, 2019

We were never meant to succeed: the show


Day One:



I'm still amazed our show has come and gone. I'm really impressed with the work we all pulled together and happy with how well it came out. With the help of John and his guidance up until then, I felt like we were more prepared than most with our set up. There were some questions I hadn't answered when I set mine up. I had all this vinyl and an idea of where my books and projectors were going to go. I set up the table like I originally envisioned it with the books on it then laid out the vinyl. I was content with the vinyl, but was waiting a day to lay it so i'd be sure about where it was. The table didn't look good to me. It looked cheap and awkward. I left for the day to think about it.


Day Two:





The next day, I laid all the vinyl and pinned down the bottom of the posters. I still wasn't happy with the table but lacked a better solution. I felt pretty okay about it. Still on edge and planning to come back the text day to finalize the upper projector and the others as well.


Day Three:







After having a small freak out about the table, I asked the opinion of Jesse since he hadn't been around for it. He suggested a smaller table and ridding of the white cloth completely. I pulled the desk from my studio and it fit the space so much better. The books ended up on shelves along the wall. The table only held the projectors and my note taking bible. It felt a lot better and gave people more room to move around in the space. I felt a whole lot better about it.



OPENING:














Christ was it exciting but also terrifying. It was happening. It went well. A lot of people came into that little corner I was in and they stayed. It was meant to be a place you have to take in for awhile. Some people say the material and went right in and right out. Others stopped and read the walls and read every book. One person came up to me and told me how deeply they connected with me on the poetry books and we both stood their teary eye'd, talking about our experiences. Others came up to me to share more experiences. I know my target audience wasn't going to be everyone, but being able to talk to all these people who had been through the same things or connected deeply with my work meant a lot to me. I stayed in the corner by my clear book because I felt it needed the most conversation and a little push for people to interact with it. I was really in love with the whole experience and I know thats silly but there was something really great about others getting it. They nodded and smiled and laughed and understood. It helped me feel accomplished in my pursuit with my work. 

Things I wanted if there were no boundaries and I could do this all again:

I'd want to give my projectors more space to project and maybe their own pedestals. I also would have liked the space to be darker. It was a hard thing to ask for making it darker, but it read without darkness. I think less light would have increased the impact of the text. I also wanted more. More text, more questioning. It might not have worked, but I wanted to push a little farther. The lines on the walls and floor repeated and I wish I'd had more phrases for the group. I'd also maybe we work the all as well. It could have been tighter and stronger. Maybe pushing the readability and making it almost painful to get through. I'd like to expand the clear book at one point to include both old and new testaments. Overall though, I'm content with the outcome of the show.

Taking Down:

It was rather easy and I was rushing so I didn't get pictures. I forgot how tedious ripping up vinyl can be but I worked through it and had help. I left getting the nails out of the wall to my boyfriend and his brother and they succeed in that. Then it was over and I looked at the empty space and I missed it. 

and that was that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment