Monday, January 28, 2019

Emily Fox - Winter Break

I took the opportunity over winter break to check out some museums in New York City. I was most excited to see The Secret Life of Textiles: The Milton Sonday Archive at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It is a small installation of Milton Sonday's studies of lace structures and woven structures.




Looking at the structures and examples in this exhibit, along with the research materials I got to look at in the Antonio Ratti Textile Center gave me a lot of information and ideas. I'm interested in playing with variations in the density of the weavings, potentially working with structures that are more similar to lace or gauze for some printing. I am also really curious about using some of the prints as a material themselves, for example, working with scans of the prints and manipulating them through tiling and pattern repeats.

Here's some quotes from The Textile Arts by Verla Leone Birrell. This reading gave me a lot of insight into why people are interested in textiles, including myself, and helped me to figure out partially why I am doing what I'm doing.

"If for no other reason, a study of fabric formation and design can be undertaken for the express purpose of gaining an insight into the achievements of cultures other than our own." (pg 1, Birrell)

"Many people have turned to weaving & other textile arts for the feeling of satisfaction they derive from these skills." (pg 1, Birrell)

"Since remote antiquity, man has expressed himself through the medium of the textile arts." (pg 13, Birrell)

No comments:

Post a Comment