Saturday, January 26, 2019

n.n. newhart

I've been thinking a lot about my approach to this information. I wanted to incorporate some of the things i've been writing. John pointed out to me a statement I made that I didn't see as significant as it is. I had referred to myself as a former christian in my statement. That's something in my work i've always been talking about. I am no longer a practicing Christian and no longer belief in it's truths but I still follow some of it's moral teachings and other rituals they practice. I think about the ritual of prayer and how it's used in Christianity. I find myself writing poems that sounds a lot like prayers. So I decided to make a book out of it.



I wanted to keep working with the cut outs and crossing shapes. I added the element of color to this piece that i've been working on. Crossing both drawn letters and cut outs I think helped add depth and different levels of emphasis through out the piece. However, I think it would have benefited from filled in letters and more variation of them through out the piece. I want to use a serif typeface in this as well to see how that sits in this context. I also want to work with different colors of paper for this to see what reads best. I am very fond of the burning bush page but the middle folio caused it to be backed with red and made it harder to read.





Actual text:

Father, Father,

Forgive me Father for I have sinned.

It's been 4 years since my last confession.

I don't believe you stand in for

the holiest of holy any longer

I give no sacrifices;

no turtledoves or goats to bleed for me

I haven't seen any burning bushes these last few years.

Father

you are only a figment,

a piece of something that has shaped me,

but no longer has a face or a purpose.

Just a whisper of direction.

Forgive me Father

I've forgotten your place,

Making home in your absence

all the same.

1 comment:

  1. maybe of interest —
    Revelation, "the seventh book to come out of Amanda Earl‘s (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) lifelong project, The Vispo Bible, translating the Bible to visual poetry. "

    ReplyDelete