Monday, January 28, 2019

Jenn Jones: revisiting, planning ahead, yadda yadda

revisiting my thesis, i realize i have to try and merge all my ideas and research with the kind of art i make naturally. i'm always drawing aesthetically pleasing and silly cartoons that are really emotive and colorful. my thesis seems totally opposite of that; it feels very formal and mysterious. my goal for the time being is finding a way to express my thesis in the style of art i am most comfortable with. so i'm content-searching things to draw. my favorite aspect of my thesis so far has been the new moon, and its symbolism for rebirth and new beginnings.

i did some research and learned that in biblical times the new moon was used to mark the beginning of each month, and was treated like the Sabbath, where no trade or unnecessary work was to be done. the word used for New Moon in Hebrew is 'Rosh Chodesh' which literally means “beginning, head, or renewal”. the beginning or head of the month. It is a time of spiritual renewal. here's some of my notes
to start thinking about this again, i pulled up an old sketch of an abstract rendering of a New Moon rising over Calvary, the hill where Jesus was crucified. i also started to redrew a screenprint i made of a new moon, jesus' hands, and olive branches.

moving forward, i want to think about what it really looks like to go through a dark time, and come out stronger on the other side. maybe i can express this in a short comic in my cartoon style, or condense it to a group of drawings in that style, or something abstract. bottom line is, i want to make work kin to my natural abilities, and able to be understood. i need to find what message i want to deliver about my topic, and the best way to do so.







1 comment:

  1. on the basis of this post, and because I saw notice of avant garden show...
    think you might get something out of Christopher Alexander, his essay Making the Garden

    Christopher Alexander is well known for his book A Pattern Language (1977)

    ReplyDelete