Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Andrew Tricoche _ Beginning of Final Phase

We're within the final stretch here, so I've begun looking back at my work from the year and refining it. I've also begun working on a title and sketching the space for the gallery. Below are some examples of how I'm beginning to refine my sketches and finding a place for my thinking to live.



These Voice Prints are ways for these sketches like these to live:



Here you can see my use of mark making to describe the pitch changes happening in the vocals. I'm underlining to count beats, and changing the spelling of words to better represent the sound. It's interesting, because when a word is spelled incorrectly, we naturally attempt to sound out the word until our brain understands what we were trying to say. This idea offers a technique on how to inspire the subconscious voice of the audience to speak in tones and accents.

I will print these voice prints and write on top of them to show my thinking in my notes. After a discussion I had with Natalie about process vs finished pieces, I think keeping my hand involved is important to retain life in my work. This would be a way of mixing the two.

Then I started thinking about the title of my thesis. I've really been liking " Seeing Sounds " so here are some ideas for some sort of vinyl application for the show.





After the discussion with Natalie, I think it's important to take a step back from the finished, clean digital version, and do something by hand. I then started thinking about activating the space for my art to live in, and the set up of my space itself. Here is a sketch I have for a mural background.



The idea is the cassette tape will have the words "SEEING SOUNDS" written on it as if it were the title of a mixtape. I think it's important to compare my work to the song, so I'm not sure if I want to mount cd players or something to the wall for each work that pulls lyrics from a song or something of the sort. I think the text should have a voice even when the wall behind them is white, but I think the mural is a way to include myself and show off my various skills.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment