Monday, February 11, 2019

Emily Fox - Catching Up

So, I have unintentionally fallen behind on blog posts. Let's blame it on senior year & being extremely busy. So, here's updates on all the things I've forgotten to post about.

Firstly, I made some prints from a new plate. These were printed on larger paper than I had previously been working with. This new paper size was for a few reasons, one, John gave me a large stack of paper to work with (thank you again), two, the idea of bringing some text into the design was brought up early in the semester. I am interested in incorporating text into these prints, potentially as a way to inform the viewer of some of the specific language I am using (ex. warp, weft, loom).

The idea of painting in order to plan out the compositions of the prints before the actual printing process was suggested to me. Admittedly, I was a little unsure at first, because I really don't work with any sort of paint so I was worried that it wouldn't be useful. Of course, this ended up being helpful, as planning out the compositions more before printing makes a ton of sense. I did this by making some small compositions in my notebook, as well as by painting directly on two of the prints described above.

relief print with added elements in goauche

























Lastly, some of my prints were part of Automatic, "an exploration of the evolving role of technology as tool, medium, and active collaborator in artistic practice. Designed and developed by Sarah Trahan and Andrew Sliwinski, this collection of work centers around a series of drawings produced by the Automatic Drawing Machine (ADM)" (from the reception's facebook page).


plates, prints & plotter drawings of brain scans taken while making prints

2 comments:

  1. re: the (not-yet) incorporation of language in this work —

    am reminded of magnetic-core memory and
    core rope memory (the latter referred to by some as LOL or "Little Old Lady" memory)

    don't have reference at hand, but believe that women (and specifically women of color) were involved in building the earlier magnetic-core memories...
    and that those memory devices were incorporated in early "art and technology" work...

    see Rosner et al, "Making Core Memory: Design Inquiry into Gendered Legacies of Engineering and Craftwork"
    PDF

    but what words, what language? why do you think you need language in this work? and what do you mean by language, in this context?

    what is your idea, that requires language in the work?
    why is not outside of the work, in your framing of it, sufficient?

    ReplyDelete