Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Jenn Jones - tons of circles

it's been hard to get back into the swing of things this semester, but something i've learned through my process recently is to pay attention to the content and language i produce when i'm not thinking about it. this includes sketchbooks and daydreams; pure, unfiltered thought. i imagine it's pinpointing this pure thought that can be the hardest part for the artist sometimes. we experience ideas all day long, then go into our studios, sit down, and draw a blank.

i've been wanting to zero in on the metaphorical significance of a new moon (no moon for 3 days = jesus was buried for three days = the natural cycle of life, etc), and remembered drawing this in my sketchbook a while ago.



the banner that says 'moonlight' is interesting to me, because it's like rooting for moonlight. even when it's a new moon and you can't see the moon's light, you're still rooting for it.



so i drew this. and i'd love to screen print 'moonlight' onto a linen banner. this idea is appealing to me because it combines the essence of this metaphor with something kind of fun and nostalgic, like a team banner.

i continued experimenting with potential screen prints.









^^ i would love to print these words in a white translucent ink on top of either a black circle or a screen printed photo of the moon. i obviously don't want to over-use this black circle, though.



^^ i imagine this print on a huge piece of linen. the "you are here" relating to the notion that, if you're going through a hard time, maybe it's just a new moon. maybe it's just that part of the cycle. and soon you'll be back, and then down again, as is life. the whole idea is that darkness is healing, like sleep. the black dot here is cool too because it's also like those big red dots on maps, like at theme parks or the mall. except, more ominous.




combining the metaphor with another fun thing such as disco appealed to me as well (i LOVE the disco era so. much. i own 3 disco balls.). i paired a disco ball with part of a bible verse; matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”









i really like the idea of combining this new moon metaphor with something in my style; like a banner or disco ball. i want to get to the print lab soon to print small versions of these concepts to see how they work out.










a LOT of my drawings are involving circles. i'd like to, in the end, narrow down to only a few that have circles in them depicting the new moon (or a disco ball). i will continue to brainstorm in my sketchbooks, and write down all the thoughts i'm having, to stretch my ideas further.






No comments:

Post a Comment