Monday, February 11, 2019

Andrew Tricoche _ Ink Blotch

I bought a printer/scanner for my house, and I kept working towards my thesis but the latest project has shifted my thesis in a new direction.

The latest project referenced the idea in the last blog post, where I displayed the Love vinyl record case in multiple colors. Each color choice spoke "love" in a different tone, some more innocent while others were more provocative. My thesis focused a lot on the idea of visualizing vocals in music, but while I think that was a really good idea, it felt like a project within a larger idea: exploring the relationship between type, color and composition with emotions and the tone of the "inner voice". I believe when these variables are shifted, the inner voice is also changed and can even inspire the user to read aloud.

To explore this idea, I created a series of typographic layouts of referenced and custom type using the text as its control. While I really hate the text, I figured I'd just use it for now so that I could have something to show my thinking. I hope we come up with something better.



The question I ask is "Based on color (&, woops) type what do(es, *$%#) this remind you of" I'm really not sure of the wording here, but I wanted the user to create a list of keywords they feel when looking at this design (example; 90's, retro, Lego, blocks, childish, CBS, etc.) I want the user to relate the aesthetic based on three variables: color, type, and composition and relate it to personal experiences or emotions felt at that time. This helps survey the crowds feelings and confirm my own perspective.



Same idea.



as opposed to



Is it less loud? Is it more controlled?

I think I want to have the conversation with the group to figure out the text so that I can move on to making a larger series of posters exploring this idea. I think the idea of visualizing music is great, though to get there, we need to take a step back and figure out what we have to understand before jumping into that. One of those necessary skills is understanding how to manipulate those variables with purpose. These pieces also serve as a tool to survey the user and receive data, as I had by showing these to my girlfriend like some kind of typographic ink blotch test. I recorded her different reactions and thinking when adjusting variables in design.

I also have been working hard to complete a painting for Artrageous 2019 which is somewhat related to thesis, but not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment