Monday, February 4, 2019

Four-sided Stackable Unfolding Flower Boxes

The awkwardness of the object has caused me to move away from the seven-sided design. I am designing a four-sided unfolding box now, which is a shape that would be easily modified to fit a multitude of needs.









These are only a few of the sketches I developed thinking about how to give this interactive container purpose. By the time I was done experimenting on paper, I decided on using abstracted, graphic flowers to decorate the interiors of my next prototype. I thought this to be a good theme for testing my printers limitations and experimenting with simplistic shape and flat color.




The next step was to generate an illustrator file that would be printed and trimmed into the physical object. My printing bed can only handle 13" wide so I have made my size constraint 13x13. This worked out well for me because my object is constructed from a 3x3 grid and allowed for the used of 12"x12" measurements on my largest printable area.

At this point I thought harder about how a flower in a box should be presented and came to the conclusion that repetition could be useful in conveying mass. I made duplicates of the original flower in decreasing consistent intervals to produce boxes that would sit within themselves. I believe that this nesting of boxes will create and interesting reaction upon the opening of the largest.

No comments:

Post a Comment