Tuesday, February 5, 2019

T. Mortimore - paintings

During the first week I created two gouache paintings on 8x11 Yupo. I felt inspired to paint but didn't "see" the meaning of them until I could step away after. The paintings were clearly about the apocalypse to me. The red one feels like a blazing inferno, or someone trapped in the window of a burning building. The blue gave me a sense of claustrophobia and immense pressure, I imagined the white form in the blue as a spirit drifting down. I used two photos I took as reference for the colors and space used. They are included below above the paintings.









Considering how the world will end has influenced me to consider the different ways in which our bodies decompose and how much waste and toxins would either be burned into gases in the atmosphere or contaminate the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment